Forums » General conversation

Just Released! jQC 0.8 - A UI framework for Quartz Composer

• 78 posts
    August 1, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

I'm excited to release the 2nd version of jQC. Like last time, this release includes a set of new tools for UI prototyping with both high and low-level patches. On the high end are patches like iOS 7 Blur, which aims to mimic the frosted look from the upcoming OS, and Device Framer, which puts a customizable iPhone frame around your comp. On the low end are patches built for improved speed and new tools like Multi Input, which effectively lets you send multiple outputs to a single input when coupled with a Multiplexer (check out the examples to see how damn cool this actually is).

This release includes the following new patches:

iOS 7 Blur (Box)

iOS 7 Blur (Masked)

Device Framer

Mobile Device Dimensions

Multi Input Mini

Multi Input Large

Multi Input Chainer

Align Inside

Image Align

Boolean Multiplexer

Boolean Toggle

Channel Changer

Focus & Unfocus

If Any

Sample & Hold (Number)

Sticky Toggle (Boolean)

Sticky Toggle (Number)

Sticky Toggle (String)

Rectangle

This release also includes and improves upon a number of earlier patches:

Color Button

Fancy Button

Interaction Lite

Crisp Text

Gradient Clear

Hex to RGB

Highest Number

Lowest Number

Initialize Boolean

Initialize Number

Initialize String

Mouse Is Over Target

mouseUp

mouseDown

Pixel Aligned Billboard

Status Light

Sticky Toggle

There are also annotated example comps for all patches included for reference.

Known bugs:

Boolean Multiplexer reverses state when toggled too fast

iOS Blur Interactive example file has a mask that becomes misaligned when dragged outside the viewport

IOS Blur Interactive example file has a misaligned device frame

NOTE: This release embraces a "Pixels First" philosophy and changes the default measurement on Interaction Lite and Mouse Is Over Target from Units to Pixels. These patches both include the ability to switch back to Units if needed (if comps built with jQC 0.5 stop working, try this).

To install, copy the contents of "jQC 0.8 Patches" to:

Macintosh HD/Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches

It is recommended that you overwrite all existing jQC 0.5 patches with these new patches. Do so at your own risk.

Current and past contributors to jQC:

Hans van de Bruggen (@verbiate)

Brandon Walkin (@bwalkin)

Dave O Brien (@DaveOBrien_)

This version is old - get jQC 1.0!

Download jQC 0.8 here instead

This post was edited by Hans van de Bruggen at March 24, 2014 7:07 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    August 1, 2013 1:07 PM PDT

Thanks for all the work that has gone into these.

Loving this new activity within the Quartz community.

• 5 posts
    August 4, 2013 1:41 PM PDT

Thanks again. This library is essential for deisgning in QC. 

This forum is essential for designing in QC.

Seriously,

Thanks,

Casey

• 5 posts
    August 4, 2013 11:21 PM PDT

Ok, a quick question. 

Previously, I had been using sprites and the 3d transformation patch to group and animate interface elements. Since Billboards are unaffected by the 3d transformation patch, what is the easiest way to move a group of pixel aligned bilboards?

Thanks,

Casey

• 78 posts
    August 4, 2013 11:58 PM PDT
    casey farina said:

Since Billboards are unaffected by the 3d transformation patch, what is the easiest way to move a group of pixel aligned bilboards?

Typically, I'll pass in a coordinate to multiple objects and use a Math patch to add an offset (ObjA = X pixels, ObjB = X+30 pixels, etc.)

You can probably just use a Render In Image in place of a 3D Transformation patch and get the result you're looking for.

• 5 posts
    August 5, 2013 9:33 AM PDT

The render in image patch certainly works for pixel aligned billboards, but the hit area for fancy button or color button does not seem to travel with the button. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

• 78 posts
    August 5, 2013 11:15 AM PDT

Again, I typically will pass in a base value and will add or subtract an offset, so as the base value updates the others move relative to it (see example). If you want to group everything in a 3D Transformation patch, you're still able to use Sprite and Interaction patches alongside other jQC patches, but you'll give up some pixel clarity.

• August 12, 2013 10:29 PM PDT

This is great! Thaks a lot!

• February 5, 2014 10:37 AM PST

These patches have been very useful for making comps to show the engineers I work with. Thank you!

I built a demo for iOS7 blur on scroll in conjunctino with some of the oragami patches. But when I used a render in image patch for the scrolled blur in conjunctin with the origami patch the output image was completely glitched. Tried adding a clear patch in as well but didn't help but using a clear and pixel aligned billboard did the trick. Are there any known issues with using some origami patches with the JQC patches?

Comp if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnhufi6mur58mkg/navBlurTransition.qtz

• 1 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:06 AM PST

Anyone have a realistic implementation of the iOS7 blur in .qtz format? I'm trying to set it up where I can control the alpha of a blurred mask over the entire iPhone screen or at least over the top bar area.

Thanks!

This post was edited by Dan Lebowitz at February 18, 2014 1:30 PM PST
    • 78 posts
    February 18, 2014 10:16 PM PST
    Dan Lebowitz said:

Anyone have a realistic implementation of the iOS7 blur in .qtz format? I'm trying to set it up where I can control the alpha of a blurred mask over the entire iPhone screen or at least over the top bar area.

There's a demo of this in the Example Comps folder called iOS 7 Blur (Box).qtz

• February 19, 2014 4:17 AM PST

Im trying to install JQC 0.8 - Im on 10.9.1...

I see you show us to install the patches into:

/Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches/

however I didn't find a premade folder there...

I installed instead into 

/Users/myUser/Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches/

is this ok? or should we have installed into the system Library?

• 78 posts
    February 19, 2014 4:19 AM PST

I've always used the main /Library path, but I'd expect it'd work for you user at the path you installed it in. Give it a shot and let us know!

• February 19, 2014 4:25 AM PST

yea it works fine from within User/Library!

thanks... looking at your animation sequencing too... thanks for that... it looks similar to what we were doing with individual timers... 

I was hoping there a more compact manner to deal with many items and started looking at Cueue and thinking maybe there a way to simply pop items into a cue and have them run automagically after each one ends... instead of artificially setting a time for them - having them set a 'done' variable and trigger the next guy in the cue.  Anyone do anything like this?

cheers!

• 78 posts
    February 19, 2014 4:30 AM PST

The "Simple Animator" patch has a Done Signal output that is intended to be used to chain animations together, in theory. In reality, this seems to work when two are chained together, but breaks with three or more. Haven't looked into what's causing the bug yet, but you may get to it sooner than I do.

• 12 posts
    March 21, 2014 4:51 AM PDT

Draging the macros to library didnt work for me until I open all the macros. Then they start working. Maybe I did sth wrong but figured out in other way. Just for let you know

We'd like to hear from you. Sign in or join now: